29 May 2014

Happygrams

Ever have a moment when a mirror is abruptly shoved in front of you? Not just the kind that shows you your outside, but one that shows you your character and personality very starkly. Essentially forcing you to carefully review your very essence with an extremely critical eye. It's not fun. But periodically necessary.
Sometimes a person's circumstances offer opportunity to blindly continue on a path of comfort, confidence, and unhealthy egotism. That mirror returns humble appreciation for hard work, lack of knowledge, luck, desire for growth, and continued love of learning.
I recently experienced an episode with a mirror. I didn't expect it, nor desire it, but I certainly appreciated it (after a little bit of wallowing in self-pity). It's likely I was "getting a bit too big for my britches" as the saying goes and needed a little reminder of who I am and who I want to be. And how to get there.
Appreciation is incredibly important. I greatly appreciate the people in my life who support me, inspire me, push me toward my desires and hopes and goals, and even push that mirror in front of my face when I need it. I know without these incredible people there is no way I would be where I am today. Nor where I hope to be in the future.
I'm not sure if the people in my life know how much I appreciate them. How happy I am that they are in my life to make me a better person. How humbled I am by their support and love.
I've decided to happygram these wonderful people. Not all at once. Periodically. Unexpectedly. Sincerely.
What is a happygram, you ask? A note - handwritten, electronically written, verbally spoken, etc. - that expresses appreciation. Most likely for no known reason at all, just for the recipient's mere existence.
I hope that you all take a moment to appreciate the ones in your life who make you better. Spread some happygrams. Not just once. But often. For the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment