26 August 2013

Mirror, mirror, on the wall...

Know what is reflective? Tape (the reflective kind, of course). Mirrors (except the one the evil queen has from the Snow White story).
Know what is not reflective? People.
You may want to argue this point with me, but read on to understand my viewpoint on this.
It seems to me that the use of the word reflection (as a descriptor for a personal practice instead of what you see in the mirror) is an attempt to add distinction to something, be it an educational program, or a professional practice, et cetera. This popped up for me during part of a homework assignment I was attempting to complete while willing the beginnings of a migraine to really just be afterimage from looking at the light on my desk. (And, in case you were wondering, it was not afterimage. Stupid migraine. Not only do I have the smallest measurement for height in my family, which I term "fun-sized", but I am also lucky enough to get migraines. Thanks, Mother.) The homework included watching a TED talk. I love TED talks.
(Watch one of my favorites:   
No, this one was not the homework. Still worth it. Probably more so.)
The one I watched was a chemistry teacher talking about how learning is messy. Yes, pause for a moment to appreciate the irony in that statement from a chemistry teacher. His point was that learning doesn't happen linearly. The suggested three rules of engagement for learning included: Practice reflection. There's that word again. But the speaker continues and explains in a way I like. He says that what we learn takes care, and revision. I like this word better. I tend toward analytical thinking. When I experience something I take time to think through the experience, the way it made me feel, how I might alter my responses in the future, what I can do to make it happen again (if it's a good experience, of course!), or prevent it from happening again, and so on. Revision.
Reflection, in my mind, has no action point. No personal change. In fact, the Dictionary.com definition under the word history and origin is:
late 14c., in reference to surfaces, from L.L. reflexionem (nom.reflexio) "a reflection,"  
lit. "a bending back".
It's just looking back at what happened...and then...nothing. Oh yay! That just happened! What's next?

So, what is next? Is 'reflective practice' accurate terminology? I maintain that inclusion of 'reflective practice' or 'reflection' within educational programs and professional environments is just lip service to add perceived distinction or prestige. But I also acknowledge that I have no quality succinct alternate to accurately describe what is intended by these insufficient words. Maybe just reflection and revision. Naw, that sounds too edit-y. No one likes editing or being edited (did that bring to mind the dreaded red pen? It did for me!). Unless you're weird. Then you probably do. Of course we all know I'm weird. Damnit. 

Oh, and if you were about to chastise me for not citing my sources, here's the link to the TED talk that I referenced: www.ted.com/talks/ramsey_musallam_3_rules_to_spark_learning.html 
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment