11 August 2013

Who you gonna call?

It's a week away from the first day of the rest of my life. Cheesy enough? Probably not. Every day is the first day of the rest of my life, and yours even, but in one week I will embark on the next stage. The doctoral program. Officially. Up until now it hasn't felt truly real, kind of like when you're a kid and you know an awesome holiday is coming soon but it's still so far away and you just can't wait, but you have to wait. But I guess it's starting to feel more real now, more official, as books are purchased and received, procrastination over reading said books is in full swing, and final logistical plans are made. Oh, and the first dream occurred. Apparently I am more anxious and nervous than I realize because I experienced a wacky dream the other night. The fun with dreams is that over time they get a bit fuzzy and you're not sure if you are really remembering the dream or your brain is making different stuff up just to mess with you even more. My brain does that. Sometimes it's humorous. I don't quite recall the details of how it all began, but I remember my cohort included people who I know didn't even apply to the program. And the campus was MUCH larger than it really is. And had a ginormous multi-story library where people floated around looking at books (which I viewed from a walkway that ringed the open middle area), and when anyone tried to take a picture of it with cell phone cameras (since no one had a 'real' camera...who carries those in dreams?), the pictures all showed creepy horror images instead of what we were actually seeing. Some philosophical discussion could be sparked from this: is what we were seeing real or some veil over the truth? I'm not going down that rabbit hole! I also recall being assigned to a hotel room with a roommate, not being able to find my room, and generally getting lost. I'm sure there's some symbolism there too, but again, I'm not exploring it.
Instead I will focus on looking ahead to what the future holds for me, while trying to stay in the present as much as I can, and continue to look for the humor in things. Like creepy floating people in libraries. Wasn't there a library scene in a Ghostbusters movie? Yes, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment